All Christian communities have an important role to play in ecological education. It is my hope that our seminaries and houses of formation will provide an education in responsible simplicity of life, in grateful contemplation of God’s world, and in concern for the needs of the poor and the protection of the environment. Because the stakes are so high, we need institutions empowered to impose penalties for damage inflicted on the environment. But we also need the personal qualities of self-control and willingness to learn from one another. (214)
Here at Catholic Earthcare we have developed many educational resources to help parishes and Catholic institutions care for creation. We can also suggest some actions that can be taken at a local and a global level.
- Laudato Si’ – An urgent appeal for action: This short film features a number of Catholic leaders offering a unique Australian perspective on Pope Francis’ new Encyclical Laudato Si’.
- The Francis Effect II: This is the first comprehensive response to Laudato Si’ published in Australia, and it offers an exclusive insight into the Encyclical from the perspective of Catholic leaders across the country.
- Australian Reading Guide to Laudato Si’: The group reading guide offers an accessible way to take up the challenges and opportunities raised by Pope Francis’ new Encyclical Laudato Si’.
- The Garden Planet: This video resource invites us all to take up the call for ecological conversion.
- Sunday Gospel Reflections: Catholic Earthcare Australia is delighted to offer weekly Gospel reflections inclusive of an integral ecology, written by Sr Veronica Lawson (rsm).
- Quotes from Pope Francis: Some inspiration from Pope Francis – messages about caring for our common home.
- Encourage fellow parishioners to sign the global Catholic Climate Petition.
- Watch Laudato Si’ – An urgent appeal for action and reflect on the discussion points.
- Book a Laudato Si’ Clergy Program with Catholic Earthcare Australia.
- Host a Laudato Si’ Parish Program.
- Hold an Laudato Si’ Youth Workshop for parish youth groups.
- Encourage parishioners to Food, Planet, Health and celebrate Meatless Friday.
- Attend one of our Laudato Si’ Animator Programs.
- Use the Australian Reading Guide to Laudato Si’ and discuss the challenges and opportunities raised in Laudato si’.
- Talk to your parish about starting an Earthcare group, to lighten your footprint and promote environmental education.